Saturday, February 1, 2014

Interview with Children's author, Janice Spina and me

Interview with Author Deanie H. Dunne

Cover for Charlene the Star cover for deanie Hattie in jpegTails New Cover Small
It is the greatest pleasure to have here today my dear friend, Deanie H. Dunne, who is a very talented author of children’s books.  Deanie has stopped by before and visited with me and my readers. 
1.     Tell us what new book or projects you have.
First of all, thank you so much for inviting me back to chat with you. I love spending time with you. At the present time, my sister/illustrator, Holly Humphrys-Bajaj, is working on illustrations for our new book. She just finished the cover for Charlene the Star and Bentley Bulldog. It’s the third in our series of Charlene the Star books and this time lots of exciting things happen to Charlene and her friends. We are also planning to have the second edition of Charlie the Horse published in paperback very soon.  
2.     You were recently interviewed on two radio shows.  Please tell us about them and how we can listen in.
The first interview was with Ambassador Claire Power Murphy. She is a multi-award-winning author, who has a show called “Improve Every Year” on www.womensradio.com. She interviewed me about a while ago, after my newest book; Charlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes was released. We talked about my children’s books and how they can be used to foster good values in children. We talked about the animal characters and the way they worked very hard to make their feelings known.  We also discussed how parents can encourage good character in their children. Claire decided to feature our interview on her foundation’s Facebook page, so you can listen here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/CPMFoundation/
I would like to mention that the website address Claire mentioned is not operating now.
In the most recent interview on www.thechildrensauthorshow.comthe host, Don McCauley, and I talk about my first book, Tails of Sweetbrier. We talk about what my dad did that changed my life and other things that happened in the book. You’ll learn about my first pony, Little Man, and what he did when he got bored, for example. One of the questions Don asked during the interview was “What was the central theme in your book?”  My response was that anything is possible if you persevere. Tails of Sweetbrier has just been awarded the Silver Medal in the Feathered Quill Writers Contest!
3.     You have a beautiful new website and blog. Please tell us a little about them.
My new website is: www.childrensbookswithlifelessons.com  When you visit the site, you’ll find excerpts from reviews of my books. You may even download a free chapter ofCharlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes. You will find general information on each of my books: Tails of Sweetbrier, Charlie the Horse, Charlene the Star, and Charlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes. All of the blogs I post there highlight amazing young people and their accomplishments. I connect each blog with writing hints for other authors as well. For example, I may talk about a child who has beaten the odds and link that with never giving up on your dream of becoming an author, when difficult times. I love writing about young people who lift your spirits.
4.     What inspires you to write?
I love to write stories with important messages for children because I don’t think they get enough encouragement today. They need to learn that all things are possible if you refuse to give up on your dreams. I think other values like sharing and setting goals are important lessons as well. I try to present each story in an entertaining way, so the readers will enjoy it while they learn important things.
5.     What do you want to accomplish with your writing?
I would like to be a good role model for children, as proof that many things can be accomplished, even if the path to success is not easy. I hope that children remember the lessons in my books and use them so that their lives are happier and more fulfilled. If I have enriched children’s lives, just a bit, then I have accomplished my goal. Of course, I hope to write many more stories to keep them enthralled. Some day, I would love to have a movie made about Tails of Sweetbrier, because it has a powerful message.
6.     Do you have anything you would like to share with us?
I’d like to say I feel incredibly blessed to be able to write stories
that children enjoy and to have met talented authors, such as you.  I
love trying to encourage other writers, in whatever small way that I
can.
7.     What do you like to do in your spare time when you have some?
I really enjoy watching figure skating, skiing, horse shows (no surprise there, I’m sure). I’m also a baseball fan, particularly regarding the Yankees. I was a voice student so I love listening to music and spending time with my amazing family.
8.     Do you have any suggestions for other writers just starting out?
I think it’s helpful to read whatever you can about the elements you need to create a good children’s book. I studied at The Institute of Children’s Literature, and I found that experience extremely helpful.
But if you can’t take a writing course, you might be able to attend a writer’s conference, or even read blogs about it. Most importantly, if writing is your passion, don’t quit when you feel discouraged. Write, write and write some more. It’s like other things. The more you do, the better you become.  Also, I think it’s beneficial to surround yourselves with people who have a positive attitude about things. You need encouraging people in your corner. Above all, never give up on your dreams!
9.     Please give us links to your books and where to purchase them.
All four of my books are on Kindle and can be purchased on Amazon.com.  Charlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes:
Charlene the Star:
 Charlie the Horse:
Tails of Sweetbrier
From my website:
Or by emailing me at: deanie@dhdunne.tk
Thank you so much Deanie for stopping by.  It is always a delight to spend time with you.  Each time we meet you teach something new about how to be a better person.  You are truly an inspirational and an outstanding person.
You’re most welcome, Janice. It’s been my extreme pleasure to spend time with you again.
Thank you readers for tuning in for another segment of Interview and Author.    I appreciate your support and hope you will come back and visit again.
I hope you enjoyed learning more about the talented and inspiring author, Deanie H. Dunne.  Please stop by her links and see how truly inspiring she is.
Thought for the day:  Surround yourself with inspiring people and you will surely be inspired to do something great in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment