If you heard McNamara's Band playing in your neighborhood this morning, it probably was because Melissa Janda gave me the surprise of my life by nominating me for the Sunshine Award! I never have imagined even the possibility of being considered. I'm so grateful for the honor.
1. My favorite color is blue, possibly because I grew up with horses and competing in shows. First prize is the blue ribbon.
2. I love watching equestrian events like jumping competitions and horse races, but also figure skating, gymnastics and baseball.
3. Most people aren’t aware that I love music and singing. I used to be a voice student and have done a few recitals.
4. I began writing children’s books with heartwarming messages because I want every child to realize he or she is gifted and unique.
5. Our family dog Elliott is featured on the cover of two of my books. He’s an important character in the stories and he loves the attention. He even does a few things in the book that he does in real life, like catching biscuits when you toss them. He already has a big head and we tell him if he gets too many compliments it’ll grow even bigger!
6. When I started blogging, about a year ago, it took me all day to write one blog and it still needed a major overhaul. I was so nervous, I could barely breathe.
7. The riding school where I grew up was called Sweetbrier. Someone once asked if it was a vegetable farm. It took 3 years to build the house and the word "Sweetbrier" is actually engraved on the shingles by the attic windows.
8. I adore spending time with my amazing family. My husband and I researched our sons’ names. One of them nearly got stuck with a name that means “crooked nose.”
9. I have the worst sense of direction in the world. When I was little, I told my mom that it’s a good thing I’m not a bird, because I’d fly north instead of south and freeze my feathers off!
10. The best advice I’d give anyone is to never give up on their dreams. My parents taught me that anything is possible if you persevere.
And the Nominees are:
- Sherry Ellis for Mama Diaries- Sherry's blogs are delightfully entertaining and so funny. I enjoy all of them immensely.
- Tiana Smith for Tiana Smith- Hers was the very first blog I read when I joined the group.She's tremendously talented and also kind enough to help me solve an email problem I had.
- Amy Jarecki for Amy Jarecki Writes- I love her stories about dogs, particularly today's which was devoted to the Whippet.
- Jessica K. McKendry- for Jessica K. McKendry-She deserves a great deal of credit for having her first novel published at the tender age of 16. What a stunning accomplishment.
- Deniz Bevan for The Girdle of Melian- Deniz writes riveting historial stories. I think we all should take an interest in events of the past and the lessons they offer.
- S. A. Larsen for Writer's Alley- S. A. looks for ways to make even horrible tragedies transform into something positive, particularly with her blog, U is for Unity where she asks authors to donate some of their books to benefit the victims of the Boston bombing. She shows the kindness in the hearts of Americans.
- Laura Clipson- for My Baffling Brain- Laura is a gifted poet. I do believe that writing good poetry requires a unique gift and I'm glad that she's working hard to perfect it, even when she's going through profound sadness.
- S. K. Anthony-for A time to Celebrate-S. K. finds wonderfully special things to celebrate, such as the birth of a baby, or the wedding of a 70 year old bride. I think more of us should savor those special moments.
- Suzanne Furness- For And the Word is- Suzanne is an aspiring author from the UK. She's already achieved success in poetry contests. Her poems are adorable. I wish her much success.
- Kathy McKendry for-Imagine Today- Kathy dedicates some of her stories to her grandpa. I think she should be admired for her writing abilities and for appreciating the values her grandpa shared.
Here are the Rules:
- Include the award’s logo in a post or on your blog
- Link to the person who nominated you
- Answer 10 questions about yourself
- Nominate 10 bloggers
- Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs letting them know they have been