Imagine that your lifelong dream has been to become an author. But you have no confidence that you will succeed. Worse yet, you're afraid to try. What should you do?"
- Take the leap of faith: If you're passionate about becoming an author believe that you can do it. Take a deep breath and remember if you don't try, you'll have a guaranteed, one hundred percent chance that you'll fail. Once you start, it will not be as daunting as you thought it would.
- Take baby steps if you must: Even if you write a little bit a day, your confidence will begin to build. Eventually, you'll be looking forward to your writing sessions.
- Writing is like everything else: When you started practicing printing or cursive writing in school, it looked like a foreign language! Nobody could read it without having helpful hints. But you practiced and practiced. Before long, everyone could read your creations and you were so proud and happy that you persevered.
- Surround yourself with positive people: Seek the counsel of encouraging people. They'll lift your spirits when you need them boosted. Let them give you advice and consider their words carefully. They don't have to agree with everything you do, but they should support and encourage your efforts. One thing you don't need is negative people who always have dismal views.
- Remember perseverance is the key to success: You may be closer to your objective than you imagine and you don't want to wonder what would have happened if you didn't quit.
Very good post, Deanie. Thank you for the advice.ReplyDelete
Thank you, Cathrina. So happy you stopped by and were commented.ReplyDelete
It's always nice to hear from you.
Thank you for positive posts! I read each one, and I am currently enjoying posting on my blogs...I do have a goal set for myself...hope to reach it! SandyReplyDelete
Good job, Sandy! I'll bet you'll reach your goal ahead of schedule! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Always good to hear from you.Delete
Great post, with lots of valid advice.ReplyDelete
Thank you, Murees! You're so sweet to stop by and tell me your thoughts.Delete
Great advice, Deanie!ReplyDelete
Thank you, Suzanne. I look forward to your visits and comments.Delete
Some great advice here, and it's all so true. If you don't try, you fail by default.ReplyDelete
Thank you, Laura. I hope the advice is helpful to many people. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.ReplyDelete
Yep, great advice! I meet so many people who want to write a book but are just afraid too. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
Thank you, Quanie. I think fear prevents us from doing what we want so often. I was totally petrified before I wrote my first book, but now I'm happy that I did. Nice to meet you and thank you so much for stopping by. Best wishes.Delete
Ahh the good ol' perseverance... it really is key in taking that leap of faith. Great advice, Deanie ;)ReplyDelete
Thanks, Katherine. I don't think anyone can succeed without it!ReplyDelete
That was great advice Deanie! My IWSG post was along the lines of my fear of failure and not having put anything out there before. This month I'm finally taking the plunge and throwing fear to the wind! Doing a flash fiction contest. Good or bad, I'm going to start somewhere. I'll keep looking at this post whenever I need some words of wisdom. :)ReplyDelete
Good job, Lily! I"m very proud of you because it's hard to take that plunge the first time. Remember the only way you can fail is by not trying! The more you do, the easier it gets! Keep throwing the fear out the window and it will land farther and farther away! DReplyDelete
Lily, whenever you're scared or worried, email me and I'll try to help you feel better; firstname.lastname@example.orgDelete
You got it right, Deanie. There's an entire lifetime to get it done.ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for the kind words and for stopping by my blog. Nice to meet you. Best wishes.Delete
Great reminders. We all need to hear this sometimes. Nice post.ReplyDelete
--Ilima Todd (IWSG co-host)
Thank you, Ilima. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting on my blog. Nice to meet you. Best wishes.Delete