Sunday, November 10, 2013

Interview with Children's author, Linda Black








“This morning I’m excited to welcome children’s author, Linda Black. Good morning, Linda, it’s a pleasure to be chatting with you today.”
“First, I’d like to thank you for having me. It’s a pleasure to be your guest.”


Have you always wanted to become an author?
I believe it has always existed latently in my mind because I’ve always loved to write.
·        Why did you decide to write stories for children?
Children and children’s issues have been my greatest passion and priority since I can remember. As I pondered about why I decided to write my first children’s book, my mind took me back to when I was barely a teenager. I used to always order the subscription to the Institute of Children’s Literature, but I never followed through on them. This happened continuously until I turned 37 when it stopped after my life took a different turn. I decided to go back and finish college. It was then I realized I could really write. My writing instructor, whom I had for three years, inspired me because she believed in me and knew my potential.
·        What were your favorite stories to read when you were little?
Even though I read lots of books, it was children’s books and poetry that really inspired me. Some of my favorite children’s books were, Chicken Little, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Rabbit, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, The Three Little Pigs and all the classics. Edgar Allan Poe was and still is by far my favorite author with Annabel Lee and The Raven being my favorite poems but I also enjoyed some of his tales, such as The Pit and the Pendulum and The Murders in the Rue Morgue. I also liked Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s Paul Revere’s Ride and The Song of Hiawatha. I was an avid reader at a very young age.
·        Tell us something about your books.
My first and second books respectively, The Adventures of Boots: The Giant Snowball and A Porpoise for Cara are published with Willow Moon Publishing, LLC. I got the name Boots from a friends’ cat named Boots, although they didn’t resemble each other at all. Later on I discovered my Boots was actually a stuffed animal I had bought for my mom when she had to go to the nursing home. My mother has Alzheimer’s Disease and when I could no longer care for her, I felt so bad I wanted to find something to ease the pain. She loved animals and I needed to find the perfect one. The cat I picked out for her was a snow white cat with four black boots, a black nose and beautiful blue eyes. She loved him and fed him everything she ate, but when she stopped playing with him I decided to take him home. I needed to rid him of the tea stains and leftover food particles. It wasn't until then I realized the character in my book was almost identical to the stuffed animal. It was then Boots was born, and he’s with me at all my book signings. I don’t know what inspired me to write Cara. The title was suggested by a friend because the original title was The Daring Ocean Rescue. My third book, S.T.O.P. Bullying was independently published and was inspired by one of my teenage cousins. He suggested I write on the subject after discussing it at lengths.
·        Do you have a specific style of writing?
I would say my primary writing style is expository, but I have done a little of all (persuasive and narrative) but mostly descriptive.
·        What are some of the elements that you feel must be included in a good children’s story?
The story must have a good underlying theme as well as a good plot and steady pace. The elements of realism, honesty and consistency are very important. I believe a good story hooks the reader at the beginning.
·        Are you working on any projects at this time? If so, please describe them.
Yes, I am. I’m in the process of writing my first memoir, of a gentleman who played on the Negro Baseball League. I have also written a children’s book, My Daddy Is a Star, and currently looking for an illustrator for it.
·        Do you illustrate your books?
Absolutely not! My best illustrations would be stick people. I possess no talent here.
·        What advice would you give to authors or aspiring authors?
If you have a dream, never give up on it, and never let anyone tell you that you can’t do it. You can! Opportunities and chances sometimes only come around once. Seize them when they fall in your hand and know you are the only person who holds that key to your success. Be persistent and ambitious about setting and attaining goals without being overly aggressive. 
·        If you have spare time, what are some of your hobbies?
I really enjoy singing and crafts. My activities include making cards with the Card Creators at my church and singing in the choir. I also sing with a local chorale group. I love traveling.
·        Is there anything else you would like to add?
I am a member of the Arkansas Pioneer Branch of the NLAPW (National League of American Pen Women) where I help plan and organize the Arkansas Writer’s Conference in June and serve as secretary of my branch. I also am a member of the Hot Springs Village Writer’s Club.
·        Where can people purchase your books?
My books can be purchased at most bookstores and:



My personal sites are:


          WordpressLinda-Wordpress blog
         
          My website -www. Lindawriteright.blogspot.com

          Facebook - Linda Black-Linda write Right.

          Twitter - Linda Black (LindaKBlack) on Twitter

          LinkedIn - Linda | LinkedIn

          Pinterest - Linda Black (lindakblack) on Pinterest


"It’s been fun finding out more about you, Linda. I so appreciate your finding time to be interviewed today. I'd like to add that I've reviewed all of your books. They are lovely and I highly recommend them. I wish you continued success and I’d like to thank all of my readers for visiting my site to read about you."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Deanie for inviting me to visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Linda. It was my pleasure to have you as a guest on my blog! Best wishes for continued success.

    ReplyDelete