Friday, April 28, 2023

A Scene from Charlene the Star


 Excerpt from Charlene the Star:

Mama, today I played tag with Blossom and Ann, but I was the slowest even though I tried hard,” said Charlene. “I didn’t like running. Maybe I should do something else. We had a visitor in the barn the other day. She said she wants to be a model when she grows up. What does a model do?”

“They are pretty. But models are always careful about not becoming too heavy. They spend time under bright lights.”

“My lovely coat would look gorgeous under the spotlight. But I’d need to eat less hay and oats to keep my slim figure. That would make me grumpy.”

“Don’t be discouraged, dear. I think you should start your training for racing and see how you feel about it.”

“But Mama, I don’t like running. I might get dizzy running in circles,” said Charlene, stomping her foot.

“Charlene, why are you doing crow hops?” asked Mama.

“I’m having a tantrum,” said Charlene. “Little people have them. I can have one, because I’m a little horse, right? Besides, jumping up and down feels good.”

“That’s not proper behavior. Soon you’ll be going to Sweetbrier Racing Stable, like your big brother Charlie did. You won’t know whether you like racing until you try it. After a short time, you’ll have your answer.”

“I guess I could try it for a little while,” said Charlene. “What if I still don’t like it?”

“If that happens find a way to show your trainer you’d rather do something else. Trainers are good at sorting out your body language. I’ve heard across the street there is a stable called Jumping for Joy Farms. All the horses there are trained to jump.”

I wonder how you are trained to jump. Does that mean you can win prizes for jumping up and down? I liked jumping up and down during my tantrum. I’ve heard people say practice makes perfect. My outbursts could be almost perfect already. Maybe that could be my specialty.

To purchase this book, click any of these links:

www.childrensbookswithlifelessons.com/

https://authoruproar.com/category/authors/all-authors/d/deanie-humphrys-dune/

https://bookmarketingglobalnetwork.com/book-marketing-global-network/deanie-humphrys-dunnes-books/

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment