Friday, March 4, 2016

Author interview with David Alan Binder


youtu.be/tT5zBYieZbo
Amazon page:     http://www.amazon.com/Deanie-Humphrys-Dunne/e/B003FFS15S/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

1.     How do you pronounce your name?
          My first name rhymes with Jeanie.

2.     Where are you currently living?
We live in Southwestern Connecticut.

3.     What is the most important thing that you have learned in your writing experience, so far?
I’ve learned it’s very important to revise, revise and revise again. Also, I think it’s important to keep learning about your craft; keep an open mind on trying new ventures.
4.     What would you say is your most interesting writing, publishing, editing or illustrating quirk?
Even if I think something is ready for publication, I wait a little longer and reread everything. Usually, I find something that needs improvement.

5.     Tell us your insights on self-publish or use a publisher?
I have an independent publisher, but I’m also learning to self-publish through CreateSpace. I’ve been fortunate to have another author friend help with self-publishing.
Who is the name of your publisher and in what city are they?
     I have several books published through Avid Readers Publishing Group in    Lakewood, CA.                 


6.     Any insights eBooks vs. print books and alternative vs. conventional publishing?
In my view, both formats are important, as each has its fans. As I mentioned, I self publish my books and haven’t had experience with conventional publishing.
7.     Do you have any secret tips for writers on getting a book published?      
If writing is your passion, pursue it. Don’t be deterred by those who say you can’t succeed. Perseverance is the key to success.

8.     Do you have any suggestions or helps for new writers (please be specific and informational as possible)?
I’d suggest taking a writing course. I completed two courses with The Institute of Children’s Literature. Even if you have the natural talent to write, you need some professional guidance. Have others read your work and give you an honest appraisal. Look for overused words, poor grammar, etc. Did you include enough conflict? All these things will help you improve your work. Be sure to revise and proofread many times until you’re confident that you are presenting your best effort.
9.     What was one of the most surprising things you learned your creative process with your books, editing, publishing or illustrating?
In my opinion, marketing is a difficult part of writing. There is always more to learn about it. Good marketing is essential to your success.
10.    How many books have you written?
To date, I’ve written five children’s books: Award-winning Tails of Sweetbrier, Charlie the Horse, Charlene the StarCharlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes, and Charlene the Star and Bentley Bulldog. All of my books are beautifully illustrated by my sister, Holly Humphrys-Bajaj. Each of them shares valuable lessons for children.
11.     Do you have any suggestions for providing twists in a good story?
Be sure you include enough conflict in the story. Try not to make it too predictable.  Ask yourself what if this character does this instead of that?
          What makes your or any book stand out from the crowd?
In my opinion, covers are important. Prospective readers will pass over a book whose cover is not colorful and engaging.  In the book itself, you need well-developed characters, conflict, and an ending that fits the story.

13.    What are some ways in which you promote your work?
I use Facebook, Twitter, emails, etc. Of course, word-of-mouth is an important element as well. If you have opportunities for internet radio interviews, take advantage of them.


14.     What is the one thing you would do differently now (concerning writing or editing or publishing or illustrating) and why?
I would suggest checking out publishers carefully. It’s easy to take the first company that comes along, so be wary of publishers and check them out with the Better Business Bureau.

15.   What would you like carved onto your tombstone?  Or what saying or mantra do you live by?
I believe perseverance is the key to success. My experience has proven it to be invaluable.

4 comments:

  1. Great interview with lots of good advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this! And I agree, perseverance is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you enjoyed it Lori. Also happy you agree about perseverance. I would have missed lots of exciting stuff without it. :)

      Delete