Are you wondering what the big deal about setting goals? It’s important because otherwise, it's a bit like wandering around the desert without a map or GPS system. You don't know where you're going and you haven't planned how to arrive there. You must make a plan and focus on it if you want to succeed.
· Set short term and long term goals: Make all of your goals realistic so that you’re sure you can meet them. Maybe for short term, you’d like to write for half hour a day, minimum. You can schedule that early in the morning, or when the children are napping. Once you start making progress, you’ll be encouraged. For the long term, choose something that’s really important. Maybe you want to have your first short story finished and edited in 5 months. Whatever your goals are, be sure to write them down and place your list somewhere where you can easily review them. This will help you stay rivited to your plan.
- Be sure to make your Goals Specific: For example, imagine that you'd like to publish a book. Don't tell yourself that someday you'll publish a book. Instead, set a date. Be specific on when you want to accomplish your mission.
- Adjust your goals if necessary: If you're finding it too much of a challenge to meet your goals, adjust them so that you can assure that you will reach them. It's most important that you succeed so you can build confidence in your abilities.
· Every step will encourage you to keep going: Even small steps toward your goal will build your self esteem and confidence. Maybe you never thought you could write anything at all that would be good enough for publication, but now that you’ve started, it’s easier than you imagined. Besides, the more you practice, the better you'll become at writing and your confidence will begin to soar.
· You’ll be surprised what you can accomplish if you persevere;
Once you begin setting goals and reaching them, you’ll be amazed how much more cheerful and comfortable you’ll feel. The hardest thing is actually starting on any project, but if you take one step at a time and you could even astonish yourself before long. Allow yourself a small reward when you reach each milestone. Maybe you'd like lunch with your friends or a new outfit. Remember to remind yourself how far you've come with your plan.
- Whatever your goals are be sure to write them down and place them where they can be easily viewed.
- Be sure to set realistic goals, to assure that you can reach them.
- Give yourself a little reward when you've arrived at your destination. You deserve it!