Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Five Important Truths About Rejection and Your Children’s Book

Rejection letters can stop you cold in your tracks or move you forward successfully toward a successful career as you publish your children’s book or article.  Once you learn to overcome the limitations placed on you by these untrue ideas, you’ll begin moving forward with your writing career.

· Don’t take rejections like a personal affront: This was always one of my big obstacles. It’s hard not to take rejections personally after you’ve worked tirelessly to present your manuscript, or article. Remember that every writer in the world has gotten rejection letters. It doesn’t mean that the editor hates your work. It means your submission doesn’t fit into his or her present format. The reason could be as simple as that they’ve recently published a similar article.

· Check out the guidelines carefully: It’s important to note that guidelines apply to everyone, with no exceptions. You wouldn’t want to submit a one thousand word article about how to combat bullying to a magazine or online publication that only accepts five hundred word articles about sports. If you do your research carefully, you can avoid the rejection letter.

·   Editors may not respond in a personal note: Remember that editors are very busy. They receive hundreds of articles or manuscripts a week. They may not reply at all, or they may only send you a form letter. Perhaps the editor said they might be interested in publishing your work in six months. At least you can plan for the future.

·   Try broadening your horizons: Maybe you’ve just published your first children’s book, but you’re thinking about writing for magazines. Or maybe you love writing children’s books, but you need to find a new subject that would appeal to children. You might write about the funny things that happened when you spent the summers on your grandparents’ farm. You’ll  be surprised about the subjects kids will love.

·   Keep an open mind: Even if you’ve been writing for years, it’s important to remember that there are always new areas to learn and explore. Maybe you’ve never tried blogging, but you have some great ideas to share with others. You might surprise yourself on successful you can be with new ventures and you’ll feel excited about your accomplishment.

·    In summary; 

·    Keep in mind that anything is possible, even new ventures. Open your mind to opportunities and learn from past experiences. You’ll find that you’ve succeeded in areas that you may never have imagined.

Charlene the Star and Hattie's Heroes:


Introduction:

Charlene the Star is earning a reputation as a fine jumper, after winning the Green Jumper Championship at the Sterling Horse Show. She loves jumping but she yearns for something new and exciting to do in her spare time. What is her new career? What happens when she meets her new friends Hattie and Wooliam? Charlene and her team will delight you with their new adventures. You'll be astounded at what they are able to accomplish when they work as a team.

Here are some comments from the review by author/reviewer Geri Ahearn:

5.0 out of 5 stars "UNLEASH ALL THE FUN AND EXCITEMENT IN A THRILLING ADVENTURE!", February 9, 2012 Geraldine Ahearn "Author Geri Ahearn" Hattie is not only known for her ravishing beauty every time she wears pretty bonnets, but also has a great mind. What brainstorm idea did Hattie have, and did it help race-horses? How did Hattie and her friends help Lily and Lucky? Charlene is as beautiful as Hattie, and is known for her unique jumping. Who had dreams, and did they come true? What talents did Hattie and Wooliam have, and what was 'Hattie's Star Coaching' known for? What did Charlene want to do in her spare time, and does she become successful? I highly recommend this delightful adventure to all young children, parents, teachers, and animal lovers. Deanie Humphrys-Dunne, who spent her childhood in a riding school, penned a remarkable story that's touched with humor and alive with thrills. An awe-inspiring story that will teach life's lessons as much as it will astonish the heart! The author takes the reader on an amusing adventure as the story teaches moral value, friendship, problem-solving, and challenges. A magnificent learning stimulation with adorable characters, who come to life. The unforgettable characters teach life's valuable lessons, the rewards of hard work, and how to be a good sport. Follow Charlene and all her friends in a fun-filled adventure that captures the beauty within the characters that makes it all worthwhile as each page shines with love and trust.

I love this and all of the books by Deanie Humphrys-Dunne- 5 out of 5 Stars

Having learned to overcome her own handicap (in "Tails of Sweetbrier"), Deanie presents a strong "can do" attitude in all of her stories. "Not giving up" to successfully accomplish your dreams is a constant theme.
Each book is loaded with experiences of personal pride and happiness due to accomplishing goals by "doing the hard work". The reader is inspired at every turn.
The stories are realistic, having obstacles as well as successes, and are filled with family or friends who help and encourage each other. In reading about one success after another through personal effort, the reader's personal dreams start jumping into their heads, along with the feeling of "I can do it!" - "is that all it takes? Perseverance and hard work? I can do that!!"
Thank you, Deanie, for the constant reminder to ourselves and our children that a successful, happy life is within our reach when we put for the effort to accomplish our dreams.
by Joanne, CT

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Story with Lessons of Good Character, December 27, 2011

By Author Sherry Ellis


- Charlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes is a story about animal friends who work together to help each other be their very best. Hattie, an adorable chicken who loves wearing pretty bonnets, has the great idea to form a coaching business to help race horses do well and achieve their goals. She and her friends, a dog named Elliot, and a sheep named Wooliam, help two horses, Lily and Lucky, learn lessons about good sportsmanship and hard work.
Charlene the Star and Hatties Heroes is a book that would appeal to young horse lovers and animal lovers. The added bonus is that it is a book that teaches good character. It's about helping
others, working hard, setting goals, doing your best, and being a gracious winner or loser.
 

                                  Charlene the Star-The Champion:




Excerpts from Charlene the Star; The Opening Scene:

“Good morning, Charlene,” said the mama horse to her newborn daughter. “Welcome to the world here at Racing Haven Farm in Kentucky. Look at your dark red coat. I wonder who else had red hair in our family. You have my long legs and pretty brown eyes and you have a star on your forehead. You don’t have white stockings like your big brother, Charlie. You don’t have black hair like Charlie and I either. But, you certainly are a beautiful redhead! Your dad’s name is Charles the Great. My real name is Star Quality, but I’ll always be Mama to you. I will call you Charlene the Star, so your name will be a little like mine and your dad’s. I can talk to you and to other animals, but we don’t talk to people.I was a famous racehorse before I decided to be a mom. There are many famous racehorses in our family so we expect you will become one, too. First, you must drink lots of milk so you grow big and strong. You and I will spend all our time together for now, because you’re a baby. My job is to keep you safe while you’re growing bigger and stronger every day.”




Meeting Blossom and Shy Ann

I’m really looking forward to making friends with some of the other little girl horses. I can hardly wait to visit them, thought Charlene. See how careful my Mama is! She knows I’d be shy with strangers. She wants me to get to know the little fillies first. How sweet is that?
“Hi Ann, you are really pretty. I noticed Ann was blushing. She IS shy.
“Hi Charlene, you have such a beautiful red coat,” said Ann. “You would really stand out on the racetrack.”
“Ann, do you want to be a racehorse when you grow up?” asked Charlene.“Have you ever thought of doing anything else?”
“No, Charlene, I wouldn’t dream of becoming anything but the best racehorse I can be. I heard that your mom was a very good racehorse and I’d love for her to give me some tips on it. EVERYONE I know wants to be a racehorse,” said Ann.
Thoughts from Charlene the Star:
She’s so lucky to have big dreams already. I hope I find out what I’d like to do soon.I’m sure that mama will help her do her best at racing.

I don’t like the girth when it feels tight. I’m going to hold my breath so my tummy gets as big as possible. Then, just before I think I might turn blue, I’ll let my breath out. That should give me a little extra room between my tummy and the girth.

I was going to tell mama I’d like to be a model. My red hair would look lovely under the spotlight, but then I remembered I’d have to diet all the time. That would make me really cross. I’d have trouble smiling for my pictures.

Is anyone going to give me something to munch on? I’m getting worried and that’s giving me a big appetite. A few peppermints would make me feel much better.
Charlene's Tantrum

“Charlene, why are you hopping up and down like that? Those little hops are called crow hops,” said mama.

“I’m having a tantrum,” said Charlene. “Little people can have them so I thought I could have one, since I’m a little horse.Besides, jumping up and down feels good.”









 

No comments:

Post a Comment