Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Finding the right path..

 First of all, thank you to Alex Cavanaugh for starting this group. I hope all of you stop by: www.alexcavanaugh.blogspot.com to read what everyone is battling these days.
I'm always uncertain when I start a new story. I have one I'm working on and still struggling with the right path for my characters to take. I have them doing this and that, but then I decide they should be doing something more interesting, or more captivating, or even more fun. As a naturally shy person, it's hard to convince myself that my work is good enough sometimes. I'm someone who doesn't even like calling  a person on the phone if I don't know them, so putting my work out for everyone to read is a big step. It's always a learning experience, but  I remember my dad's advice that no matter who you are or what you do, not everyone will approve. He also told me that you have to try if you want to succeed. You must be willing to take the risk so you have a chance at victory. I'm lucky to have that advice to lean on when I need it. The bottom line is that I love to write for children and I do believe this is what I'm meat to do, so I have to tuck the fears away and plod on, even during the days when it doesn't seem like I'll ever sort things out. I know that perseverance is the key to success, so I'm out to prove it..
Also, I've just signed up for a critique group so that's another new experience. We'll see how it goes...

Website address; www.childrensbookswithlifelessons.com

14 comments:

  1. I'm also not a fan of calling people on the phone--any people, actually. I tend to hide behind screens when I converse...one of the reasons I like the bog-o-sphere so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really relate to that, Randi. But we are getting braver so that means things will eventually get easier. I just signed up for a critique group (first time ever) so it's another new thing to face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with that story. I feel that way, too. For some reason, I get these ideas that excite the heck out of me. But when I sit to write them (to start) I freeze. I find if I skip and write a scene that could be in the middle, I sometimes find the beginning.

    Sheri at Writer's Alley

    Home of Rebel Writer CREED 2014
    Mighty Minion Bureau Team #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you're much better at it than you think. But what you said sounds like what happens to me if I have to make a speech! I practice and practice then have no idea what to do when the time comes. Yikes. Thanks for stopping my and best wishes on all of your projects.

      Delete
  4. Your dad gave you great advice!! Not everyone loves chocolate or bacon. Doesn't mean they're wrong...those yummies just aren't for them. Same with our writing. We cannot please every reader every time.

    Keep plodding along!!

    Terri @ Scribbler's Sojourn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Terri, he did indeed. In fact, when I was very small he made the decision that changed my life so I owe him a great deal. It's what I wrote about in "Tails of Sweetbrier", my award-winning autobiography. It really helps to remember that it's impossible to please everyone, otherwise you can really get frazzled over it. Thanks for visiting. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I'm just as shy and have the same issues with the phone. Your dad's advice is spot on, I love it ;)

    Good luck with the Critique Group, Deanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We match with the phone, Katherine. Thank for stopping by. I'll be sure to let you know about the critique group. It's a little scary,but there's only one way you can go when you're at the bottom. )

      Delete
  7. I know how you feel, I'm a shy person too, and I hate speaking to people I don't know on the phone. Your dad's advice is great, and so true. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura, I agree with everything you said! All the best to you, as always

      Delete
  8. Critique groups are the best. They really help you grow as a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope so, Sherry. I know one of the ladies in the group so that helps. I hope I can give them good suggestions as well. We'll see...
    Thanks for stopping by. Regards to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been told that critique groups are great and worth your while. I know this might be hard to believe, but you have nothing to be shy about. Your work is well written and inspiring. It makes people feel good about themselves and your're a genuinely nice person and trust me, people can tell. If you still doubt yourself, remember you have an award to remind you just how great your work is. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Murees, you are a wonderful person yourself and it's a blessing to have you as my friend. I'll be sure to let you know how I'm doing with the group. Soon I'll be reading about your first book being published and we can celebrate together. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete