Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Kid's books: Heroes





Do you love kid’s books where the hero emerges to save the day? Do you know any real-life heroes? If you’ve heard of Riley John from Alaska, you might know why he’s being hailed as a hero. One day, Riley  John and his friend, Seth Gerrin, went out for a walk. But in an instant, they’d know why this wasn’t going to be a normal day, or an uneventful walk. Riley noticed a small boy slipped off the bridge and fell into the water.  What was Riley’s reaction?
“He flew down and I was like ‘Oh my God, that’s a really far drop. He hit a rock really hard. He then fell into the water,” Riley told Inside Edition.  “I really don’t know what I was thinking. I reacted as fast I could.”

“He flew down and I was like ‘Oh my God, that’s a really far drop. He hit a rock really hard. He then fell into the water,” Riley told Inside Edition.  “I really don’t know what I was thinking. I reacted as fast I could.”
What happened next?”Securing a grip on the water-soaked clothes worn by Mason Varner, he was able to pull the boy into a safer part of the river. When Riley’s strength failed, he then passed the body off to Seth, who ran Mason to paramedics. ”
Clearly, Riley’s bravery and quick reaction, saved little Mason’s life. Riley and Seth may be shy young men because they left before meeting Mason’s Mom. In fact, his mom had to post a plea on Facebook, asking if anyone knew who the two young men were who rescued her son. Eventually, she got the information she needed. What happened next? The governor presented the boys with a special award, along with other surprises.
Illustration by Holly Humphrys-Bajaj
For more on this story, please click this link:
http://www.childrensbookswithlifelessons.com/2017/04/25/kids-books-heroes-5/
 New video by Rhonda Patton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEQYcPSqvD4&feature=youtu.be


Copyrright 2017: Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment