Tuesday, October 18, 2016

What if your child has a disability?





What if your child has a disability? You're probably thinking you feel like the world came crashing in on you. But if you look outside the sun might be shining and the sky is right where it belongs. How do I know about this?  The reason is simple. My parents were told I'd never walk when I was nearly four years old. But he didn't handle it in the average way. He refused to accept that as fact. My dad told me,"Don't pay any attention to what the doctor said. It doesn't make him right. I'm going to teach you to ride and you'll be fine." I totally trusted him so he and I started on our journey together.
I loved riding and my first pony, Little Man. He was a little devil though and much smarter than I. He played a trick on me every chance he got. If you read my true story, Tails of Sweetbrier, you'll find out exactly what Little Man did when he got bored.
I think when you face any type of adversity, the outcome depends on the action you take. What if my dad had taken the doctor's word as the truth? Maybe he'd have babied and coddled me. Worse than that, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to set goals and work toward them. I'd have missed the experience of a lifetime. If you battle any type of adversity, you choose the course of action. In many ways, you may determine the outcome by persevering until you succeed.
I fell of my horse or pony so many times. It seemed I became an expert at falling off and getting up. In our family none of us were allowed to quit. It's a blessing because quitting only assures defeat.
In closing, I'll leave you with the last sentence in my book, "You have the power to make your dreams come true so reach for them and don't accept anything less!"

copyright 2016: Deanie Humphrys-Dunne


video and logo  by Rhonda Patton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT5zBYieZbo&feature=youtu.be+

video by Chester McDaniel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIqzafSYyAw&feature=youtu.be


No comments:

Post a Comment